Nichols Canyon is an area of Hollywood Hills homes east of Mount Olympus and west of Outpost Estates. It begins at Hollywood Blvd. on its south end and snakes its way north into the hills below Mulholland Drive. Nichols Canyon was named after John G. Nichols who served as mayor of Los Angeles between 1852 and 1853 and then again from 1856 to 1859. Mr. Nichols was a businessman and a builder who lived in the first brick house to be built in Los Angeles real estate and he was the first mayor to expand the city. Nichols Canyon has a natural, year-round, spring-fed creek and water fall over 100′ high, and several natural and man-made small water falls. The stream that flows through the bottom of Nichols Canyon attracts coyotes, frogs, deer, raccoons, skunks, rabbits and other wildlife. Hawks can often be seen circling the area as well. Home to many celebrities throughout the years, Nichols Canyon is a favorite jogging and cyclist road.